Line 6 have some new portable recording devices coming out soon (BackTrack series) and have revamped their TonePort hardware as POD Studio products (which now include a software plugin, no need for an extra purchase any more).
POD Studio GX
POD Studio UX1
POD Studio UX2
POD Studio details
- All POD Studio products come with the basic POD Farm software plugin which is the same stuff you would traditionally get with the $100 add on Gearbox Silver.
- POD Farm includes a completely redesigned interface and native support for dual tones (no need to run two instances of the plugin now).
- POD Studio GX has a single1/4″ guitar input and a stereo output jack.
- POD Studio UX1 can have a single mic or guitar input and also includes stereo line inputs (on the back).
- POD Studio UX2 is the most flexible of all supporting stereo mic inputs (with phantom power) as well as instrument and stereo line inputs.
- Get the full details at Line 6’s POD Studio product pages.
- Expected to ship on October 29, 2008.
Line 6 BackTrack and BackTrack+MIC
Backtrack price check
BackTrack+MIC price check
Line 6 are releasing a new portable handheld recording device. There are two variations, with or without a built-in microphone. They are expected to start shipping on
October 10 October 27, 2008.
Line 6 BackTrack
- BackTrack product page
- Up to 2 hours audio at 24-bit, 48 kHz audio
- Up to 12 hours audio at 16-bit, 11 kHz audio
- 1/4-inch guitar input, 1/4-inch output
- USB 2.0 for copying .wav files to computer
- Rechargeable via USB
- Around 8 hours of battery life
- Looped playback
- price check
Line 6 BackTrack + Mic
- BackTrack + Mic product page
- All of the above features, plus:
- Up to 4 hours audio at 24-bit, 48 kHz audio
- Up to 24 hours audio at 16-bit, 11 kHz audio
- Microphone with gain control
- 1/8-inch headphone/Line out with dedicated volume
- price check
Get the manuals and advanced guides in .pdf format at Line 6’s support page.
The BackTrack recorders don’t include any built-in effects for processing, they are purely for capturing ideas. This seems like it would work out pretty well for capturing ideas to be re-amped by a plugin later. You could probably include BackTrack inline between guitar and amp like a stompbox so you can get inspired by your tone while recording a dry signal. If anyone gets one of these and tries this be sure to post here about how it worked out.